How LENR could Transform Civilization
Sometimes writers like everybody else misses the big picture because we are too busy concentrating on mundane day to day events. A lot of us who cover low energy nuclear reaction (LENR) tend to do that when we concentrate our coverage on the latest announcement from an inventor, gatherings of professionals or worse internet rumors and ignore the consequences of what we write about.
I must confess that I am just guilty of this practice as anybody else, so I will use a little history lesson to remind us of why LENR or cold fusion could be important. Basically LENR has the potential to transform our entire civilization.
If you look back at the major developments in human history over the past few centuries you will find that new sources of energy were the cause of the greatest changes. A few examples of these transformations include:
- Sailing ships or better sailing ships which led to the age of exploration, global trade and the European “discovery” and conquest of the Americas and Australia. Many countries including the United States only exist today because an improved means of powering ships was developed in late Medieval times. What is interesting about this development was that it resulted from improvements to technologies that had existed for centuries; ships and sails, rather than a new invention.
- Steam engines. These transformed transportation by making it possible to move goods and people without wind or animal for the first time. The results of steam included the Industrial Revolution, and a massive growth in the world’s population because for the first time food could be shipped cheaply and quickly across oceans and continents.
- The internal combustion engine which enabled the development of other transformative technologies such as the automobile and the airplane. These technologies disrupted virtually every aspect of human life from family to government to war to the economy.
- Electricity which enabled the development of modern communications, modern manufacturing, information technology, computers and much more.
If LENR lives up to some of the hype it could be just as transformative because it could give people access to vast amounts of incredibly cheap power that does not create pollution. It probably will not solve our problems but it will transform our lives and our entire civilization.
Some ways LENR could transform civilization would be to make many activities which are now cost prohibitive cheaper and available to all. For example the train, the steamship, the automobile and the airplane made travel for pleasure once something only the rich did accessible to the average person. The internet enables almost anybody to access a vast library of information, in many cases ordinary people today have access to more and better information about many subjects than the wealthy had a generation ago.
A power source like LENR could make home generation of electricity now cost prohibitive economically viable. It could also make activities like desalination which are now cost prohibitive cost effective.
Obviously we do not know the nature of this transformation or the true capabilities but we do one thing. A practical LENR device would transform our civilization in ways we may not yet anticipate.
- cold fusion industrial revolution