Is Global Warming Responsible for the Syrian Civil War and ISIS?
There is yet another reason why we should invest heavily in next generation energy technologies such as low energy nuclear reaction (LENR), it could prevent political upheaval. Some analysts are now blaming the Syrian Civil War which helped give us ISIS and a massive refugee problem on global warming caused by Greenhouse Gases.
Over at the American Conservative, hardly a left-wing publication, Rod Dreher notes that Syria underwent a catastrophic drought between 2006 and 2011 that essentially destroyed the country’s economy. Dreher thinks the unprecedented drought was caused by global warming. That led to revolt against the Assad regime which gave rise to a civil war that shows no signs of ending.
This fascinating and really disturbing comic book does a great job of telling the story. In the story, writer Audrey Quinn notes that the so-called experts including journalists and intelligence analysts were taken by surprise by the revolt in Syria they thought the nation was stable until it exploded completely.
The highlights include:
- The drought was more intense and lasted longer than could be explained by natural variations in weather. It was also the worst on record in a country with a history that dates back 3,000 years.
- 85% of Syria’s livestock died.
- The only way farmers could get water was to drill illegal wells because the water rights belonged to supporters of President Bashar al-Assad.
- When local political bosses saw wells being drilled they sent Assad’s goon squads after the farmers for simply pumping water.
- Nearly one million Syrians lost their farms to the drought in a cataclysm reminiscent of the US dust bowl. The unemployed farmers fled to the cities which also experienced a water shortage. This fueled the unrest which led to revolt, civil war and ISIS.
- Since 2011 over 240,000 people have been killed in the Syrian Civil War.
The Pentagon Believes in Global Warming
Dreher has a warning about “Many Syrias to come.” He cites a report from the US Defense Department that predicts climate change will cause conflicts in the Middle East, Africa, Asia and South America as well as the United States itself. The Pentagon is now planning for climate change sparked conflicts and other catastrophes. Dangers the brass is worried about include rising sea levels, humanitarian disasters and food shortages.
It is obvious from this document that the highest commanders of the US military think climate change is a threat to America’s National Security. They also think that the catastrophe has begun even if the Republican Party is pretending it does not exist.
“The National Security Strategy, issued in February 2015, is clear that climate change is an urgent and growing threat to our national security, contributing to increased natural disasters, refugee flows, and conflicts over basic resources such as food and water.”
That’s the conclusion of the report called “NATIONAL SECURITY IMPLICATIONS OF CLIMATE-RELATED RISKS AND A CHANGING CLIMATE.”
Bill Gates to the Rescue???
Congress may not be listening but the world’s richest man is. At his blog Bill Gates wrote that he plans to invest $1 billion of his own money in clean energy technology over the next five years. He calls change an especially important issue and noted that it could lead to declining food supplies and increasing hunger and malnutrition if it is not addressed.
Hopefully some of that money will go to LENR, some of it could also go to hot fusion and next generation nuclear fission. Gates also made a disturbing point.
“Right now, the world spends only a few billion dollars a year on researching early-stage ideas for zero-carbon energy,” Gates wrote. “It should be investing two or three times that much.”
That needs to change and change fast if we do not want to face more Syrias. Only new solutions like LENR can prevent the next generation of wars and refugees.